Friday, November 5, 2010

Notes for Unit 9: XML (11/8)

Introducing the Extensible Markup Language (XML)


Like the rest of this weeks readings, this was over my head a little bit. It seems that XML and HTML are similar, but XML is more complicated. HTML seems a bit more accessible to the average person. I have had to use it before (even though I didn't know what I was doing). I managed to figure it out. I am sure this will end up the same way.


A survey of XML standards: Part 1. 


Wow, I had no idea there were so many parts to XML. It was interesting to see the various types, but I have to say it was a bit over my head. I did find XLink to be pretty interesting and understandable. It was interesting to be introduced to these so that I have a basic idea of these functions. 


Extending your Markup: a XML tutorial


I found this article to be easier to understand. I liked the examples it gave as that helped me see how XML functioned. It was interesting to see the stylesheets and how they can be organized. It is incredible to see what it takes to show a web page and it isn't as simple as it looks.


XML Schema Tutorial


I guess I am slowly getting to this idea of XML. The tutorials help but I am hoping I will get a better idea of it by seeing examples in next weeks class. That really helped me understand HTML when we were showed examples during the November 1st class.



2 comments:

  1. Don't fret Cheyenne, if it is any consolation I too was confused by the readings this week. I think that I was a little too overwhelmed by the time I got to the XML tutorials last week and so I literally had to go back and look through it just to go through the schema tutorial. I am looking forward to asking a million questions in class this week-things just aren't adding up yet. Thank goodness there are benevolent programmers who have developed ways for people to create websites without having to know HTML or XML. I love those people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you, Cheyenne--the readings were over my head. But I do feel that by the time I got to the last one that I was starting to understand things a little better (at least I hope so!)

    ReplyDelete