Saturday, November 27, 2010

Notes for Unit 12: Social Software (11/29)

Weblogs: their use and application in science and technology libraries


It was beneficial to get information and links on where a library can get started on things like this. I cn see how things like this would be very beneficial to libraries and its patrons. It is nice to be able to know what is going on in a library at the tip of your fingers whenever you need it.


Using a wiki to manage a library instruction program: Sharing knowledge to better serve patrons


This was an interesting article. I had always thought of wikis and compared them to Wikipedia. I have always had a distrust for Wikipedia but I can see how it can be useful. Although similar, it seems that this could benefit a library very much. I especially like the ability to see if people are also having problems with a certain area and the wiki allowing them to post their concerns and to get help with it. 
This was a basic and helpful article that easily spelled out the benefits of a library wiki.


Creating the academic library folksonomy: Put social tagging to work at your institution


I enjoy the beginning of the article where it talks of the benefits social tagging could give you. I have also had circumstances where I couldn't locate what I needed and didn't know how to get one object from one computer to the other. Sometimes I have to do this at home when I print.
Social tagging seems to be a benefit, however, I do see problems arising when it comes to vocabulary. Maybe in a library, to not run in to this problems, patrons would be able to only label LC or Dewey subject headings?


How a ragtag band created Wikipedia


I have to say, i have never liked the idea of Wikipedia. I know it is very popular, but I have to say, I do not like it as a source for information on things like term papers. I know high school students do this all of the time. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but....
It was interesting to see the build up and the structure as well as the cost of Wikipedia. I also found the discussion about the Bush vs. Kerry articles during the elections and I like to see that there is a neutral policy. 

1 comment:

  1. I gree with you, Cheyenne, regarding all of the articles. I definitely think that the weblogs and wikis could definitely help libraries to make sure that everyone is on the same page. In regard to social tagging, I hadn't thought about using it before to tag websites, but that is a realy good idea, and one that could be very beneficial. In regard to Wikipedia, I don't necessarily view it as an authoritative source, especially for school work, but it can be a place to start. I also thought it was interesting to learn about how the organization works, and it amazing to think that it is mostly run by volunteers.

    ReplyDelete