Friday, November 19, 2010

Unit 11: Web Search and OAI Protocol (11/22)

Web Search Engines: Part 1 and 2


YAY! I was finally able to locate this article thanks to Aimee and Megan.

My thoughts on this article are mainly about how the web crawlers actually search for this information and why they only search for certain information. I understand that they try to get rid of calenders and other probably remedial information, but what if that is specifically what I am looking for? Otherwise, a very informative article that  touches on information that I really haven't thought about before. I just assumed I was getting back information from EVERYTHING I was searching for out that. Apparently, this is not the case.

Current developments and future trends for the OAI protocol for metadata harvesting


I was also unable to get to this article. I searched on the internet and databases and it would not link to the PDF.


The Deep Web: Surfacing Hidden Value


It is crazy that search engines only scrape the surface of the internet at 16%! I also had no idea that when you conducted a search, that isn't all that shows up. I wonder how many important articles I have missed because the search engine doesn't go in to the deep part of the internet. Too bad.
It is also interesting how the search engines actually search for this information. I found the paragraph on the "what's related" section and it was interesting to see that 71% of the deep web is searched for this. As the article moved on, I got a little lost on the many layers that actually do make up the internet and how absolutely deep they actually are.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cheyenne!

    I was confused at first about the Web Search Engine articles too because it was trying to make me pay for them, but I went to PittCatt and was able to find them. They weren't too long. Also the second article I found on PittCat by accessing the journal Library Trends. I really liked the Deep Web article too! The pictures in this article are funny- I liked the one with the boats and the people "deep ocean fishing." It is interesting how we sacrifice quality in order to retrieve the quickest search results. And if the deep web keeps growing faster than the surface content, will we ever harvest this vast amount of information?
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I have now been able to locaste the Hawking article, but will try Pittcat for the second. Thanks for the information. It was very frustrating for a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised by the web search articles, too. I'd always just assumed that a Google search would come back every possible website that was relevant. If I'd thought about it, I suppose I would have realized that I've never found a calendar through a web search, but I think that those services are really good at making it seem like they've found the information you want even when you have to do a little of the legwork yourself.

    ReplyDelete