Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Notes for Unit 7: Internet and WWW Technologies (10/25)

How Internet Infrastructure Works


First of all, I didn't know we had something like the Internet Society. The name seems ominous.
* Note, the second chapter of this article didn't load for me* I also never thought of routers as being able to keep your information from getting to anything else that you don't want it to. Learning about IP addresses is also very interesting. I have often wondered how police are able to locate who is doing what through their computer.

Dismantling Integrated Library Systems


I guess what stands out tot me in this article is the fact that libraries can't afford and their technologies aren't updated enough to use the newer technologies. This id what I have always ran in to from my previous job. It's a shame that people don't have enough access to information as they should. Many people don't have computers or the internet in their homes so they are going to libraries to access this.

Inside the Google machine


Wow! Super interesting to see people's internet use around the world. The projection made it easier for me to understand how many people use it rather then reading, 1 billion people blah, blah...... It is also interesting to hear them talk about education. My husband was just telling me about Orkut last night so it's funny to hear about it the next day. This was a very interesting and insightful talk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheyenne,

    I agree with you about the Dismantling Integrated Library Systems article. It is upsetting to realize that libraries may not have all of the available technologies that people need when doing research.

    I also thought that the globe showing people's Google use around the world was amazing. I really enjoyed this video. I'd never heard of Orkut before, so it was interesting to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete