Saturday, October 9, 2010

Notes for Unit 6: Computer Networks, Wireless Networks (10/12)

Local Area Network


I was happy to read about something that I am already familiar with. It was interesting to learn the history of LAN. I guess I had never thought about the history of it before. It was also interesting to learn about LAN and WAN. I am just happy that we don't have to listen to the noise the computer made with a "dial up" system anymore. This article was a nice refresher.

Computer Network


This is also a refresher article for me. I have gotten to know about networks while working at a high school. We seemed to always have problems with the network. This article did allow me to learn more about how exactly a network actually works. I didn't know what bridges or switches were and I was able to know the details of what exactly a router and other things did. I just knew the basics.

Common types of computer networks video


This makes it a little bit more interesting and easier for me to learn. It was nicely boiled down and easy to understand.


Management of RFID in libraries


Wow, this article was very interesting! I didn't know what RFID's were. I knew that there were some weird codes on things like DVD's and other products but I didn't know exactly what they did. I guess I assumed they were JUST a security tag.
I would, however, prefer to have a librarian checkout and checkin my material. When I worked in a library, my favorite thing to do was do this. I don't know why, it was just fun. I have also had many problems using the self check out machines. I would just prefer to know that the process was done correctly. also, if it boils down to it, librarians are an important source and I would prefer them not to be replaced by machines.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheyenne,

    I like what you said about the RFID article. When I worked as a library aide many years ago my favorite thing was to check out and check in books. I enjoyed the contact with the customers, and it was fun. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I also like to have a person on hand for check out, whether it be at the library or the grocery store. I've never been able to get the self-service machines to work at the grocery store, and I probably wouldn't have much better luck at the library!

    ReplyDelete