Friday, October 1, 2010

Notes for Unit 5: Information Organization by Database, Metadata (10/4)

Database, wikipedia article

I had no idea how detailed databases are. There are so many types and I didn't realize all of the types of "locks" that were required as well. Databases are much more involved than I thought. Of course, I have been using databases for my research for papers this semester, but I never thought much else of it besides that. Good to know.

Introduction to Metadata, pathways to Digital Information: 1: Setting the Stage 


I had no idea that metadata could be so involved either. The content, context and structure idea helped to explain it better to me as well as the examples on the graph. Graphs and examples are always a huge help. I have worked with the MARC catalog before and entering data in the descriptors is not the easiest thing. I am interested to see the differences (if at all) of the general MARC records and the programs used for archives. Another thing that I didn't know, metadata doesn't have to be digital! The name sounds so digital I never thought to separate the two.


An Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model 


I always wondered what all of the letters in a URL and everything else meant and how they got me to where I wanted to go. This model was needed in order fr people to be able to find things either on the internet or an OCLC. Very interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Your question about the differences between MARC records and archives programs is interesting - I'm vaguely familiar with MARC, but not at all familiar with archives databases. I hope we talk about this in class!

    I also didn't realize so many locks were involved in databases - still, I'm not sure I understand what they all do, exactly. Wikipedia is so helpful in pointing out what I really, really just don't know... not so helpful with explaining it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheyenne and Rachel,

    I agree with you, Rachel--Wikipedia is very helpful in pointing out what you don't know, but not so good in helping you to understand it.

    I also had no idea how complicated databases and metadata are. It seems so simple to just key in something and have it pop up. You don't realize all of the work that goes into getting your to that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheyenne,

    I too was surprised to learn that metadata does not have to be digital. Imagine what working with an analog metadata?! I wonder if there were ever annals on the yearly developments of metadata. Now, THAT would be a dense read!

    ReplyDelete