Saturday, September 18, 2010

Notes on Unit 3: Computer Software (9/20)

Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide

I have constantly heard references to LINUX systems and have never known what that meant. It seemed that many computer savvy people liked this system and so it was interesting to finally learn why. I had no idea that LINUX was also used in major businesses like USPS, Amazon and even the German Army. Obviously, this is because it is such a reliable system. I feel that with LINUX being so adaptable or Open Source, it can be more easily used for these organization and can be formatted to fit their needs.

What is Mac OS X?

To start off with, I have ALWAYS heard that Mac's are the best and they have amazing design programs. My father, who is a graphic designer, has told me this since I can remember. Anyway, that little mention in the article reminded me of that.
I am ashamed to say that I have never known what OS meant. I guess it means operating system. 
This article was very informative. I never knew what all of this meant. I just always turned on my computer and things were working. Now I know why and how.

Mac OS X Wikipedia

I own a Mac, and this article made it much easier to understand. In this article, I found that the X meant 10. I suppose by my not even knowing what the OS or the X meant in my computer shows you that I need to be taking this class. It was also interesting to have the "Tiger" and "Snow Leopard" systems explained to me as these are the two that I have worked with. I know changing from Tiger to Snow Leopard did enable me faster web browsing and that was a nice benefit to the new system.

An Update on the Windows Roadmap

Last night I had a conversation with someone who said that Windows Vista was the worst thing ever. I have always heard this and it is interesting that this article states at the beginning that people will still have access to support for this program. It seemed that this entire article was just a apology for this system. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheyenne,
    I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of in regards to not knowing what OS stands for. As I was reading all of these articles I realized how many abbreviations and acronyms there are in the language we use to discuss these systems that we take for granted and haven't learned what they mean and how they truly function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--no need to be ashamed, Cheyenne! At work I have used a Dell PC for many years, but my first computer was a Mac, and I loved it. In fact, switching to a Windows-based PC was a very strange experience for me!

    In regard to Linux, I was also interested to learn about all of the places that it is used (in the textbook it also says that Mozilla is Linux-based). It sounds like a really good system, with a lot of admirers, so I'm not sure why it isn't more popular than Windows. I'd like to learn more about it, and see what options it offers that Windows doesn't.

    As a student, we are able to get Windows 7 for free, and I've got the disc but I haven't installed it yet on my laptop. But considering all of the problems that Vista has had, I suppose I'd better install it soon. Thus far, I haven't had any problems with Vista, but I may be speaking too soon...
    Mary Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late to the discussion here, but I wanted to say that I've had trouble with all the computer terminology myself. Maybe my age is showing, but they didn't teach that stuff when I was in school. (I hope they teach it now starting in grade school!) I also want to say that I use Windows Vista and think it's fine. Everybody hates it, but for a user like me -- meaning I don't use my computer for much besides the basics -- Vista is fine. I think we have to keep in mind that different products are suitable for different users. Macs are great for people who want to do certain things, while Microsoft products are great for people who have other priorities. It all comes down to the needs of the user.

    ReplyDelete